Sunday, November 16, 2008

Awake, but half asleep

Well, this weekend wasn't the super-productive weekend I had hoped for, partially because I couldn't seem to remember what exactly I was supposed to be doing.

On Friday night, I went to the wake of my friend's mom with my parents and then had dinner with them back in the Ridge. Nothing sounded better to me than crashing out at their place while curled up with my adorable, goofball dog, so that's exactly what I did. I considered setting an alarm, but thought, I don't have anywhere to be tomorrow, so why mess up a good chance to sleep in?

Slept in I did, then played with my dog and my parents' cats for a while before heading to Target for some premature Christmas shopping and Jewel for some long overdue grocery buying.

Only when I got home and logged into my email did I realize I had completely forgotten about a conference I was supposed to attend for school.

Ugh! I can't think of a worse feeling than realizing you have forgotten an important event or appointment. And I can't help but wonder, how can I forget about something like this and let my mind wander to trivial things like early Christmas shopping?

Lately I sometimes feel like my brain is turned to the wrong channel, or like part of my brain has just been removed without me noticing. A couple of weeks ago, at the Midway station of the Orange Line, I tried to size up an escalator, and I couldn't figure out why I was having such a hard time making my move and stepping onto it. When I finally picked a step and got onto it, I realized my difficulties stemmed from the fact that I was trying to ride up a "down" escalator. I don't know why I am so zoned out lately.

Well, that's not true, I guess I do - I just could not be more tired of going to school. And it's not that I dislike school, really - I just really miss being a normal adult who most nights can just eat dinner and watch tv when she gets home from work if she pleases. Being a student means you pretty much feel like you should be studying all the time, because, well, you probably should be.

And I am pretty much at my wit's end. I don't think I would be so "done" if I hadn't been working full-time or close to it this whole time I have been going to school, but I am just exhausted. If I can give any advice to new college graduates it would be: if there is any chance you will go back to school at all, keep living cheap and avoid debt so that when you go back, you do not have to work.

So, I felt like shit for missing the conference. But I am glad I got some other personal stuff done, though, like finally getting some food in this apartment, and doing that early Christmas shopping done. I know that should be a much lower priority on my list, but I cannot emphasize enough how stressful Christmas shopping has been since starting law school. DePaul normally wraps up around December 19, and this is when I have begun my Christmas shopping for the last three years. Last year was the first year since starting law school that I did not shop in Christmas Eve. A couple of weeks ago, I was at Target shopping for some birthday gifts for friends and noticed how nicely stocked everything was for the holidays and thought, "since I will inevitably end up here on Christmas Eve trying to pick something out for all my relatives, when everything is picked over, why not do that sooner, when it's not picked over?" So, that's what I did.

I guess the Christmas shopping also seemed like a good idea because I am really excited about Christmas this year. This will be my first Christmas in 10 years not working in a horticultural job, which means I get to experience the holidays without working six or seven days a week restocking Christmas trees and lights or water poinsettias, and wondering how the holidays slipped by without me noticing.

Of course, when I got home I felt bad because I remembered my apparently not so resolute resolution to buy all my Christmas gifts at local craft markets and such this year, and I went and did the exact opposite. But I didn't buy all my gifts yet, so there is still time for craft fairs, too.

On the way to the Jewel, I also drove past the condo that the man of the house has had in mind and I realized how much I have been picturing us living there and hoping that the deal goes through. Both sides are driving a hard bargain but I think my heart is set on is living there, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that no one else snaps it up.

I also spent way too much time on Facebook this weekend. I can go weeks without logging into that thing and then get hooked again for no reason. I guess it has been particularly fun lately because all of a sudden I am seeing everyone I have ever known ever on it. It seems it has really reached quite a critical mass lately. It has been especially fun and interesting to connect with some of my relatives who I don't get to see very often at all.

But really, really. Enough messing around on the internet for now.

No comments: